ASIS International Code of Conduct
ASIS International (“ASIS”) is committed to providing a safe and welcoming experience for all event participants as defined below.
Any participant regardless of:
- Race or ethnicity;
- Religion or political affiliation;
- Gender, or gender identity or expression;
- Sexual orientation; or
- Any other distinguishing characteristic
should feel welcome and safe at any ASIS event.
This Code of Conduct applies to all event attendees, presenters, exhibitors, sponsors, vendors, contractors, other service providers, and ASIS staff (“participant”) at any event, meeting, conference, forum, social event, or meeting-related event, including those sponsored by organizations other than ASIS but held in conjunction with ASIS events in which they participate (an “event”). This expectation applies to any such event, as defined above, whether delivered in-person or virtually. As such, ASIS expects that participants at events will:
- Remain positive and welcoming to others;
- Recognize that an event is a place for diversity of thought, organization, and individuals;
- Be inclusive of others;
- Be alert and report any discriminatory, harassing, aggressive, or exclusionary behavior or speech immediately to the contacts set forth below;
- Respect the specific rules and policies of the event; and
- Otherwise uphold the reputation of ASIS
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Intimidating, threatening, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning conduct;
- Inappropriate physical contact (e.g., unwelcome sexual advances, groping, sexual assault);
- Physical stalking or written, verbal, or other abuse; or
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images or language in event presentations, or otherwise failing to obey any rules or policies of the venue or ASIS.
Whether such behavior constitutes unacceptable behavior as defined above shall be determined by ASIS and its representatives, in their sole discretion. ASIS takes matters of such unacceptable behavior in any form seriously.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated. Any event participant requested to stop any unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
At any ASIS event, ASIS staff (or their designee) may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including removal of a participant, for any unacceptable behavior as described above.
Anyone engaged in unacceptable behavior may be subject to expulsion from the event, in ASIS’s sole discretion, without refund. Depending on the severity of the unacceptable behavior, further consequences may include termination of membership in ASIS, or denial to participate in future ASIS events or meetings in accordance with ASIS policy and procedure.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior as defined above, have witnessed any such unacceptable behavior, or have additional concerns, please immediately notify ASIS by emailing email@example.com or by speaking directly with:
- Jeremy Ornstein, Chief Human Resources Officer;
- Susan Mosedale, Chief Global Member Engagement Officer; and/or
- Amy Peters, Senior Director of Events
Requests for confidentiality will be honored to the extent permitted by the law and ASIS procedure and if the rights of others are not compromised.
Any participant experiencing or witnessing behavior that at any time in their judgment constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety is advised to contact 911 immediately.
ASIS International approved 15 August 2018, updated March 27, 2020.