ASIS International Event Code of Conduct
ASIS International (“ASIS”) is committed to providing a safe and welcoming experience for all event participants as defined below.
Any participant regardless of:
- Race or ethnicity;
- Religion or political affiliation;
- Gender, or gender identity or expression;
- Sexual orientation; or
- Any other distinguishing characteristic
should feel welcome and safe at any ASIS event.
This Code of Conduct applies to all event attendees, presenters, exhibitors, sponsors, vendors, contractors, other service providers, and ASIS staff (“participant”) at any event, meeting, conference, forum, social event, or meeting-related event, including those sponsored by organizations other than ASIS but held in conjunction with ASIS events in which they participate (an “event”). This expectation applies to any such event, as defined above, whether delivered in-person or digitally. As such, ASIS expects that participants at events will:
- Remain positive and welcoming to others;
- Recognize that an event is a place for diversity of thought, organization, and individuals;
- Be inclusive of others;
- Be alert and report any discriminatory, harassing, aggressive, or exclusionary behavior or speech immediately to the contacts set forth below;
- Respect the specific rules and policies of the event; and
- Otherwise uphold the reputation of ASIS
- Abide by all health and safety guidelines prescribed by the CDC, the city in which an in-person event will take place, the event venues (e.g. convention centers, hotels), and ASIS, including, but not limited to, masking, daily health attestations, temperature checks, social distancing, and use of hand sanitizers.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Intimidating, threatening, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning conduct;
- Cyber stalking or written, verbal, or other abuse;
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images or language in event presentations, or otherwise failing to obey any rules or policies of the venue, the digital event platform, or ASIS; or
- Failing to abide by the event’s health and safety guidelines.
Whether such behavior constitutes unacceptable behavior as defined above shall be determined by ASIS and its representatives, in their sole discretion. ASIS takes matters of such unacceptable behavior in any form seriously.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated. Any event participant requested to stop any unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
At any ASIS event, ASIS staff (or their designee) may take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including removal of a participant, for any unacceptable behavior as described above.
Anyone engaged in unacceptable behavior may be subject to expulsion from the event, in ASIS’s sole discretion, without refund. Depending on the severity of the unacceptable behavior, further consequences may include termination of membership in ASIS, or denial to participate in future ASIS events or meetings in accordance with ASIS policy and procedure.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior as defined above, have witnessed any such unacceptable behavior, or have additional concerns, please immediately notify ASIS by emailing [email protected] or by speaking directly with:
- Jeremy Ornstein, Chief Human Resources Officer;
- Susan Mosedale, Chief Global Member Engagement Officer; and/or
- Amy Peters, Senior Director of Events
Requests for confidentiality will be honored to the extent permitted by the law and ASIS procedure and if the rights of others are not compromised.
ASIS International approved August 15, 2018; updated March 27, 2020; updated August 25, 2020; updated April 2021.