3 Myths and Tips of Campus Security (Education & Houses of Worship)
by Garret Macrine
3 myths of campus security for educational institutions and houses of worship
1. “A security guard or officers on campus will give the atmosphere of a prison or make people feel like they are under siege.”
2. “Schools and places of worship are impossible to secure as anyone can enter at any time by the very nature of their intention and design.”
3. “If only we had 360 security camera coverage we would be safe as clams with all that monitoring and detection.”
3 things you should know about campus security for educational institutions and houses of worship
1. Security is unimportant to them, a divisive topic and burdensome… until someone gets hurt.
2. They may believe firearms on campus will ultimately lead to their use on campus and further vulnerability to violence.
3. Run, Hide, Fight cannot work in a church or synagogue as there is nowhere to run and hiding depends on luck.
Garret Macrine will present on “Israeli Security Best Practices for Law Enforcement and Physical Security Professionals,” at GSX in September.